Atwater Market, established in 1933, was named in honor of the 19th century businessman and municipal politician : Edwin Atwater. Based near the Lachine Canal in the southwest of Montreal, this market place represents one of Montreal’s most beautiful buildings considering its unique art-deco style architecture.
Romain and I were amazed by the expertise of the merchants we met… They have been passing down their dedication and knowledge from one generation to the other. That’s how, over the time, Atwater Market gained a solid international reputation for a wide variety of fresh products such as : fish, cheese, meat, fruits & vegetables, maple syrup, chocolate, ciders, etc…
Here are some of the merchants categorized on the above map :
– GILBERT JODOIN : Beekeeper & maple syrup producer, fruits & vegetables grower
– CHOCOLATS GENEVIEVE GRANDBOIS : Artisanal chocolate creator
– BOUCHERIES & FERME SAINT-VINCENT : Producer of organic meat and poultries
– LE VRAC DU MARCHE : Selling spices, nuts, balsamic vinegars, gluten free products
– PREMIERE MOISSON ATWATER : Artisanal bakery
– G & P HORTICULTEURS INC. : Gardening items, flowering, annuals & green plants
– LE PARADIS DU FROMAGE : Cheesemonger, wide variety of local and imported cheeses
– LA POISSONNERIE DU MARCHE ATWATER : Family-owned shop, fresh fishes & seafoods
– LA FROMAGERIE ATWATER : Over 800 cheeses, 500 imported beers, microbreweries
– LES DOUCEURS DU MARCHE : Atwater Market’s food emporium
– FERME CONRAD PITRE : Strawberries, cucumbers, pumpkins, corn
– FERME BEAUDIN : Greenhouse tomatoes, peppers, pickles, garlic
– FLEURS DE MON JARDIN ET DES CHAMPS : Lilies, Peonies, Dalias and Sunflowers
– WILLY HAECK & FILS : Large assortment of annual plants
– FERME MICHEL MEUNIER : Sweet corn, Quebec strawberries, cultivated blueberries
– LES FRUITS DE LA RELEVE : Honey, berries, flowers, cherry tomatoes
– SATAY BROTHERS : Restaurant, Southeast Asian specialties
– ROULE MA POULE : Cajun chicken, Niçoise salad, gazpacho, paella.
– LA CABANE BAR LAITIER : Dairy Bar, Belgian chocolate dipping, ice cream, maple butter
On the 5/6/7th of May 2017, Atwater Market in cooperation with Fromagerie Atwater organized the event : Atwater’s Market Beer Festival. That’s how Romain and I discovered this popular market place with local and devoted merchants.
We got together with some friends and tasted a selection of Quebec’s best microbreweries and craft beers. Tastings cost was at $1.00 for two coupons, of which 50 cents were donated to the Montreal Children’s Hospital Foundation. It was pleasant to appreciate the festival while contributing to a good cause…
All the beers at the tasting were also available for sell inside the market at Fromagerie Atwater. We had the opportunity this year at the festival, to check out the “Circuit des vignobles”. They were showcasing some of Quebec wineries.